True and the Rainbow Kingdom Netflix original animated series
True and the Rainbow Kingdom is an American Netflix-exclusive children’s television series that premiered on August 11, 2017. The series is produced by Guru Studio, in collaboration with Pharrell Williams' i am OTHER, artist collective, FriendsWithYou and Home Plate Entertainment.
The show currently has two seasons available for viewing exclusively on Netflix, and its second and current season premiered on June 15, 2018. A third and fourth season has also been confirmed, and the third season will be released on Netflix on May 3, 2019.
True and the Rainbow Kingdom follows 8-year-old True and her best friend Bartleby the cat, as they help the whimsical citizens of the Rainbow Kingdom, a wondrous, colorful universe filled with delightful and fantastical citizens. True is the only one with the ability to activate the magical powers of the Wishes of the Wishing Tree, solve problems in the Rainbow Kingdom, and empower viewers with her imagination, mindfulness and empathy.
- True (voiced by Michela Luci): A strong heroine. True possesses a warm heart, a clever mind and boundless energy. She accepts every challenge head on with a beaming smile. What makes True “truly” extraordinary is that she is the only one in the Rainbow Kingdom who can activate the Wishes’ special powers that unleash magical energy.
- Bartleby (voiced by Jamie Watson): A cat and True’s funny sidekick, Bartleby has a lot of bravado and the gift of gab. Only True, his bestie, knows he is actually a bit of a scaredy-cat. He is one opinionated kitty and provides a lot of commentary, which helps trigger True’s creative problem solving skills.
- Rainbow King (voiced by Eric Peterson): The lovable ruler of the Rainbow Kingdom, he is a kind, sympathetic and humble king. Though he possesses a wealth of knowledge, he shares his wisdom in riddles adding fun complexity to True’s adventures. He will do anything to help True on her journey but he knows that “true” success is achieved when True solves problems all on her own.
- Zee (voiced by Dante Zee; later voiced by Nicolas Aqui): Zee is True’s buddy, an apprentice to the Rainbow King, and the wish keeper. One or two years older than True, Zee is a trained “Wishologist”, which means he takes care of the Wishes and he knows all about their strengths and powers. Once a problem arises in the kingdom, True seeks out Zee’s advice and wish help in the Wishing Tree.
- Grizelda (voiced by Anna Bartlam): Grizelda is a self-centered young princess. Deep down she realizes she needs a friend like True. Although True tries to reach out to the Princess, Grizelda’s self-absorbed ways can make that challenging. However, love in Rainbow Kingdom is unconditional, so True never stops trying. Grizelda is just someone who’s a little selfish which only means she needs a little more love!
- Frookie: A dog and Grizelda’s sidekick. Looks out for the difficult princess because he knows the inner Grizelda is not so bad.
- The Wishes: Non-verbal but highly expressive, the wishes communicate with goofy gestures and sweet sounds. Each one has a unique, big personality that compliments or contrasts their power. The Wishes share a special bond with True but until they are called to action, they stay busy training with Zee. Each Wish is imbued with a special power that only True can “Spark”.
- According to early sources:
- True and the Rainbow Kingdom was originally to be named "Wish Come True".
- Developments of the series began as early as 2013, with a planned toy line.
- True had a slightly different design, carrying a satchel for the Wishes instead of her standard backpack.
- It is one of the first television series to be exclusively rendered on a GPU.
- USA: Discovery Family
- Canada: CBC Kids and Zone des Petits
- Brazil: Gloobcast
- Italy: Frisbee
- UK: Tiny Pop
The following is a list of True and the Rainbow Kingdom writers, and the amount of episodes they wrote.